The warm community of ALIYAH Jewish learning program provides engaging, high-level learning opportunities for every student. Our students experience Jewish holidays and traditions, gain strong Hebrew language skills, and grow from the many opportunities for meaningful leadership within the congregational community. Our teachers are dynamic and nurturing, and our kids enjoy their experience of Jewish education.
Innovation & Excellence
We are proud to have the most thorough and innovative supplementary Jewish education program in Portland. In our recently redesigned ALIYAH K-6 program, all children attend two parts of our program: Judaics on Sunday mornings and individualized Hebrew tutoring one afternoon per week (in person or online).
Each grade has its own goals in the area of Ivrit (Hebrew), Tefilah (Prayer) and Yahadut (Jewish building blocks) plus a specific mitzvah or Jewish value to focus on for the year. Sunday classes include chugim (specialty activities) that include creative cultural arts such as art, music, outdoor games and Jewish history D&D. Students have many opportunities to “live” their Judaism, whether leading services, celebrating holidays, putting on a Jewish wedding celebration, cooking Jewish foods, or participating in tzedakah projects that support others in our community.
ALIYAH is an inclusive community that welcomes students across the spectrum of learning styles and needs. We work closely with families to create individualized learning plans as necessary and celebrate the achievements of each of our students based on their own abilities. We learn throughout our program that every individual has strengths and challenges and the beauty of a community is that we all gain from supporting each other.
Our excellent ALIYAH teachers are dedicated to Jewish life and learning, passionate about Hebrew, Israel, and tzedakah. Our teachers care about the success of each student and focus on creating a learning environment that supports every child in his/her learning as well as in building a strong community of friends.
Program for 2022-23 learning year
ALIYAH K-6 Overview
- Our K-6 program has two main components: Judaics and Hebrew.
- All K-6 students meet at CNS from 9am-12 on Sundays for Judaics. Sunday mornings are designed to be creative, social, inclusive, and engaging and allow students of all ages to focus on gaining literacy and finding meaning in all aspects of Judaism, from holidays to life cycle rituals to values.
- Each grade level has its own Judaics focus and values lens. Sundays also include chugim (specialty activities) and tefilah (prayer services). Chugim include options for arts, music, cooking, cooperative games, Jewish D&D, Israeli dance, and more, allowing for choice, movement, outdoor time, and creative connection with Jewish culture and values throughout the year.
- Tefilah time allows kids to learn to lead and sing and pray together in an upbeat, developmentally appropriate environment, and deepens our connections with Hebrew language and natural wonder.
- Hebrew is offered as individualized tutoring sessions for 30 minutes per week per child on weekday afternoons. Families have the option for in-person locations (at CNS or at EJC-Eastside Jewish Commons) or on Zoom, and can choose 1:1 tutoring or partner tutoring for 2 students to learn together at a time.
- Kindergarteners meet as groups rather than for individual tutoring.
K-6 Safety Protocols
- Over the past two years, we successfully and safely held in-person programming with clear safety guidelines in place, in consultation with our CNS leadership and Education Advisory Committee. We offered online group learning for any child/family who wanted or needed it, and welcomed children to join either in person or online as desired. We very much hope that the coming year provides relief from these concerns and guidelines, but we are ready to continue any safety measures that are necessary for us to gather in learning and joy with our youth community.
- Current policy requires all eligible students, teachers, and parents spending time in the building to be fully vaccinated.
2022-2023 K-12 Calendar is currently being created.
We will publish it once it is finalized.