Please note that while we are doing our best to keep this calendar up to date, we may not track everything.
- If the class is adult ed, please contact your teacher.
- If it is a meeting, please contact the head of the committee.
- If it is an event that is not virtual, it is likely cancelled or postponed.
- If it is a religious service, please click here for the virtual services webpage.
- Our Coronvirus webpage is regularly being updated with information, including events that are being offered, click here.
Thank you for your patience and understanding.
- This event has passed.
How Jews Read the Bible—A Sermon Writing Class with Rabbi David Kosak
Monday, November 8 | 7:00 pm - 8:30 pm
An event every week that begins at 7:00 pm on Monday, repeating until January 24, 2022
The Jewish way of reading the Torah is unique. It is flexible and innovative. It demonstrates tremendous freedom that has protected Jewish culture from literalism and fundamentalism. In this course, we will learn about the lives and history of some of our most famous traditional commentators. In addition, we will study how they went about mining the Torah for meaning and wisdom. We will also learn how to use Sefaria, a remarkable on-line Jewish resource. By understanding this tool, we will quickly be able to access our traditional commentators.
Class participants will be invited to write a sermon applying the insights that we will learn. Those will be delivered to the community on specific Shabbats throughout the year. Class enrollment will be limited to 12 active participants. Taught by Rav D and Merridawn Duckler. Cost: $72 for CNS members, $96 for non-members
To register, please contact Lisa-Marie by email or call 503-246-8831.
Mondays 7:00-8:30 PM beginning October 18th
Odd dates on Zoom~, Even dates in person at CNS*
10/18~, 10/25*, 11/1~, 11/8*, 11/15~, 11/29*
12/6~, 12/13*, 12/20~, 1/10*, 1/17~, 1/24*